Friday, October 16, 2020

The Fall Of The House Of Fishburn

There weren't supposed to be kids in the Tiger Den.
I was on my way home from work after a busy day with a three-hour webinar from hell. Last year at this time, I'd have stopped to lock up the Tiger Den, the local playground in my neighborhood. But that was in the Before Times, when Coronavirus hadn't closed everything down. The Tiger Den was supposed to be locked to avoid spreading the virus.
But I was seeing it---Gate open, lock missing, and kids playing on the swings. I stopped for a moment and watched. One of the girls from the grocery store across the street was watching, and she said,"I thought the parks were supposed to be closed."
"Yeah, they are," I said. "I should call the mayor." I always feel pretentious saying stuff like that.
I dug my cell phone out of my pack. Five minutes later, Mayor Joel was getting out of his car.
"What the hell?" he said as he approached the gate.
"Yeah, I know," I said. "Lock's completely gone."
He looked it over. "Someone just took it off the chain," he said. "Could be someone making a political statement."
"Yeah, I thought about that."
"I have a temporary one for now," he said. "I'll send somebody to replace it with a better one in the morning." He clipped one on. "I mean, who would do this? Makes me mad."
"Yeah, I knew you wouldn't be thrilled about this."
Joel laughed. "Nah, you did the right thing by letting me know. Thanks."
"You know how to find me if you need anything," I said. "Gonna go home and tell my son how I teamed up with the mayor to save the Tiger Den."

"Dutcavich....Etters....Fegler..."
I stood in my office, filing the obituary cards for the Pennsylvania Room. The Ross Library has newspapers going back as far as 1813, and a new part of my job was to file the new index cards as they came in. I'd been at it maybe an hour.
So I took a break for a moment. Messing with history wears you out. I sat down at my desk and checked my e-mail, and I was surprised to find a message from someone I hadn't heard from in a while.
I flipped through the index, and then stopped, looking at one of the cards. I laughed. Pulling it from the drawer, I walked over to my co-workers at the desk.
"You guys gotta see this," I said. "Death of a kid in 1876. Look at the name."
Mel squinted at the card. "Fishburn. Edgar Allan Poe Fishburn."
"Edgar Allan Poe Fishburn," I repeated. "The perfect find for October. I wonder if his parents were fans."
"You have to assume so," said Barb. 
"Let me guess," said Tracey. "You're going to dig into this a little more."
"I think I will," I admitted. "I might find something I can use on a tour, actually, or write about. I mean, how do you not look into a kid named after Poe? I'll see if I can find his grave, but personally, I'm hoping he's buried under floorboards, or sealed in a wall or something."

"Got an e-mail from John today," I told my wife.
"John...."
"Piper Museum."
"Oh, right, the president," she said. "They want you back?"
"He asked if I'd be willing to take on the Piper newsletter again," I said. "They haven't had one since I left, and he said it was often a pretty good fundraiser."
"You gonna do it?" Michelle asked.
"I'm thinking about it,"  I said.
A few years ago, I'd been curator of an airplane museum on the east end of Lock Haven. Though I'd loved the work, I'd felt I wasn't spending enough time with my son, and I'd resigned two years ago. Since then, I'd gone on to some other things that took up less time.
"I'm going to meet with him," I said. "Sometimes I miss the museum, though not as much as I'd thought I would, and I really miss John. We'll sit down in his office like we used to, and talk things over."
"Are you taking Paul down?"
"Thought I might," I said. "He always loved the place. It'll be good to see the Aztec again."

It had been two years.
I hadn't seen the inside of the Piper Museum since I'd resigned in 2018. I hadn't realized just how much I'd missed it until I walked inside with Paul, seeing all the artifacts and displays again.
"They still have the Super Cruiser model," I said. "I hung this up myself."
The receptionist, Stacey, came around the corner. She was visibly surprised to see me. "Hi, Lou," she said. "What can I do for you?"
"Came to meet with John," I said. "Is he around?"
"He's out to lunch. You remember how that goes."
"I do. I'll get with him later if I have to. Okay if I go walk through the hangar?"
"Sure. Help yourself."
Paul and I walked down to the hangar, and strolled around the planes. I touched the Aztec, which had always been my favorite plane.
Hello, old friend. I've missed you.
"Daddy, don't touch stuff," said Paul.
"Yeah, you're right," I said. "Look. This green one is new---A new Tri-Pacer. This wasn't here when I was."
"Cool," said Paul.

I started with the newspapers.
It took me a while, with the microfilm. The further back you go, the screwier it gets, but I'm probably the person in the county who is most used to that. Finally I found it in a blurry column at the top of page four, the son of Dr. J.H. and Rebecca Fishburn, with a scribble of poem included.
I checked the cemetery records, and to my surprise found most of his family buried in Highland. His mother, brother, and sister were buried in Section 11, over the top of the hill. I checked the rest of the county---Sometimes weird things happen---And didn't find Edgar anywhere. His grave was unmarked, which was probably about right for a kid named after Poe.
So I grabbed a city directory and looked for the houses. Interestingly, his brother had grown up to live on my street, and married the daughter of Mayor William Elliott, who lived next door. His mother had lived at 315 East Main Street.
Every one of them had died young, including Mayor Elliott.
Nevermore.

"Maybe there will be people on top of that building again," Paul commented as we sat down at the table with our Chinese food.
"Maybe." The city had been opening up downtown areas for outdoor dining on the weekends---One little positive effect of the pandemic. Michelle dug into the bag and passed out our food.
"I chose something to surprise you," she said. "Picked it from the spicy menu."
"Looks good," I said. "I could use a little bit of spicy today." I opened the egg rolls. "When we're finished, you want to take a ride up to Highland Cemetery?"
"Yay! Highland!" said Paul.
"We got nothing else to do," Michelle agreed.
After dinner, we rode up to Highland Cemetery in the Prius. Michelle said,"Where are we going?"
"Section I."
"I have no idea where that is."
"Take the lower loop, the back way around to the hill."
"Just tell me when to stop."
"Turn left."
We pulled up along the back end of the cemetery, and I got out. A moment later, Paul was following, wearing his black dress.
"I'm sinking, Daddy," he said.
"That's because you're wearing high heels."
"What are we looking for?"
"Graves with the name Fishburn." This kind of thing is a little easier now that Paul is learning to read.
I saw it almost immediately. Partway up the slope, I spotted the graves of Rebecca and her other children. "Here they are," I said.
Paul came over. "You found Fishtail?"
"These are the ones I needed," I said. "And here's a space, right here...."
"What do we do now?" Paul asked.
I knelt down. "This is where Edgar Allan Poe is buried," I said.
"How do you know?"
"I can tell by looking. See how there's a space here? The grass is a little greener, and the ground takes a dip. This is the grave of a child."

"It looks like I won't be going back to Piper, after all," I said, sitting down at the table. "They hired a new weekend guy, and the board thinks he can do the newsletter."
"Ah, sorry, Dad," said Tif. We were on the third floor of the library for my lunch break. "I know you were looking forward to that."
I unwrapped my sub. "Well, I'll survive. Spend more time at home with Paul. Write another book. Find a few adventures. But it was good to go and visit the place again."
Paul looked over at me. "If they need you to help sometime, will you?"
"Probably," I said. "I always did love that place. If they asked, I'd help."
"Can I come, too?"
"Sure," I said. "You can always come along and help."
"And see the planes?"
"And see the planes."

No comments: